ACC 665 Grand Canyon All Week Assignments
ACC 665 Grand Canyon Week 1 Assignment
Tax Planning and Business Strategy Case Study
ACC 665 Grand Canyon Week 1 Case Guidelines
Throughout the case, you may assume that events described unfold over a period of several years, as your client, Dave Novell progresses through life and each module is viewed as a different point in his life, in which his business and private affairs change and evolve. Your task is to assume the role of an accountant and member of an accounting team at a local firm assigned to work with Dave and apply your understanding of tax strategies and regulations to address and resolve issues concerning his tax obligations and liabilities.
Dave Novell is a divorced parent with custody of his two children. Dave is an owner-employee with “On-Off-Shore Searchers, LLC” (OOSS). He and his children reside in Phoenix, AZ. When they were young, his children lived with their mother, even though he provided over 50% of their support. OOSS is a Louisiana registered LLC and based in Houma, Louisiana. It operates six drilling rigs now. Adam works a regular 2-weeks-onshore and 2-weeks-offshore schedule.
His prior tax preparer and advisor died unexpectedly. Unfortunately, the tax preparer was a sole practitioner and there was no one to continue the tax services to Dave. His stockbroker recommended you and your accounting firm to advise him and his family on his tax obligations and liabilities.
During the onshore weeks, Dave also manages a small business in Phoenix operating under the name of “Diamond Discovery,” a 100% owned small business that develops new musical talents. He operates this currently as a regular Schedule C business. You discover that his ex-wife, Diane, works in this business, he paid for the completion of her education in addition to paying for her house, in which she and the two children previously resided, and he has done this for many years. Once she had completed her education and had become employed, the divorce settlement required the house to be ACC665GCU sold and the proceeds, net of the loan payoff, to be divided equally between the two individuals. This has not been done.
Documents Left by the Deceased Tax Preparer Contain the Following Information:
• On prior tax returns, he has deducted his mileage round-trip between Phoenix and Houma as a no reimbursed business expense.
• Diane does not receive a W-2 or a Form 1099-Miscellaneous for the weekly cash stipend of $500 received from Diamond Discovery, Inc.
• Dave is vague as to if and how the stipend was handled by the deceased tax preparer.
• A review of prior tax returns does not reveal any information about this issue. However, Dave claims that ACC665 he has always deducted it.
• Dave had converted Diamond Discovery to a corporate structure on November 20 of the prior year. However, the prior year returns provided by him consisted only of Dave’s 1040.
• Dave claims that Diamond Discovery was to be established as an S-Corp. with him as read more 100% owner. No records from the deceased tax preparer files show this was filed.
• W-2 from OOSS has the following:
o Gross, Box 1, Income, $125,000.
o Federal income tax withheld, Box 2, $21,300
o Social Security Income, Box 3, $106,800
o Medicare Income, Box 5, $125,000
o All Social Security and Medicare taxes were withheld
o Arizona income, $125,000
o Arizona withholding, $5,250
ACC 665 Grand Canyon Week 2 Assignment
Individual Case Study Report A and CLC report
For specific instructions regarding the Individual Case Study Report A, please refer to the Tax Planning and Business Strategy Case Study resource.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.